Carter Burden Network Careers
Join Our Team!
Thank you for your interest in the Carter Burden Network. Our mission is to promote the well-being of seniors 60 and older through a continuum of services, advocacy, arts and culture and volunteer programs, all oriented to individual, family and community needs.
We are dedicated to supporting the efforts of older people to live safely and with dignity and seek outstanding and diverse candidates with ambition, compassion and a dedication to our mission.
The Carter Burden Network offers competitive benefits to full-time salaried employees.
We encourage you to review our available job descriptions and apply to our open positions. We look forward to hearing from you!
Available job/internship openings will be posted below:
The Carter Burden Network (CBN), a nonprofit leader in aging services in New York City, seeks a bright, collaborative and energetic Volunteer Coordinator to join our Volunteer Services team. The Volunteer Coordinator will assist with the coordination and on-going daily support of CBN volunteers at the Carter Burden/Leonard Covello Senior Program in East Harlem. The Volunteer Coordinator will also be responsible for the Grocery Shopping Assistance program.
The ideal candidate is diligent, personable, organized, enjoys fostering relationships, and is able to think strategically to support department success. This position is one that will play a key role in creating a welcoming environment for volunteers, ensuring a positive volunteer experience, as well, as grow the Grocery Shopping Assistance program. This position is ideal for an individual looking for a dynamic work environment while also looking to build program management skills.
· Act as the day-to-day contact for all volunteers at the Carter Burden/Leonard Covello Senior Program in East Harlem.
· Supervise all meal service volunteers during cold pack preparations and senior center lunch service. If needed, fill in when volunteers are not available.
· Book volunteers when necessary with oversight by Director of Volunteer Services.
· Maintain/update calendar of daily & weekly volunteers.
· Maintain excel spreadsheets and google documents to maintain accurate accounting of volunteer hours & entries.
· Maintain relationships with schools and other partner organizations.
· Work proactively with volunteers by providing orientations, training and hands-on oversight.
· Calculate and submit monthly statistical data of all programs to the Assistant Director of Volunteer Services.
· Confer with volunteers & Director of Volunteer Services to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest.
· Assist at other CBN locations as needed.
· Supervise the coordination and preparation of street fairs, as well as, attend weekend street fairs.
· Supervise interns throughout the duration of their time with us.
· Grocery Shopping Assistance Program Responsibilities:
· Conduct outreach to volunteers providing an orientation & interest’s assessment.
· Conduct follow-up with necessary paperwork.
· Conduct reference checks on all volunteers entering the program.
· Conduct outreach to social workers when necessary to make a volunteer/senior program match.
· Maintain excel spreadsheet tracking the steps required throughout the program continuum.
· Maintain audit-ready file folder documents.
· Maintain volunteer files and agency forms as required.
· Input grocery shopping assistance logs into peer place database and file them into their folders on a monthly basis.
· Experience with volunteer coordination or supervision of groups and individuals.
· A love of, and knack for, working with people. Positive, energetic, and able to motivate others.
· Proficient in basic computer applications.
· Must have experience in thinking strategically and quickly on your feet.
· Demonstrated capability to behave in a professional demeanor when interacting with the public and/or with difficult situations.
· Demonstrated capability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
· Ability to work well with special needs students, corporate volunteers and seniors.
· Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job (ie. Occasional weekends will be required)
· Ability to work productively & maintain focus in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions.
· Interest in working in the nonprofit sector, aging services or social services a plus.
· Ability to incorporate Mission Statement philosophy when engaging with seniors and volunteers.
· Deadline oriented.
· Bachelor’s Degree required
· Fluent in Spanish a plus
- Full Time position
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Holly Hedemark at firstname.lastname@example.org
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
It is the policy of the Carter Burden Center for the Aging – DBA Carter Burden Network (CBN) to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status.
CBN is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of CBN to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is the policy of CBN to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions.
CBN’s designated person for issues concerning Equal Employment Opportunity is:
Loy Mulyagonja, CFO
Carter Burden Network
415 East 73rd St.
NY, NY 10021